Sunday, November 25, 2012

Section 3: Evaluating, Implementing...


1.      One other form of evaluation was developed by Michael Patton,  (Utilization-Focused Evaluation or U-FE).  It is best described as follows: “…evaluation done for and with specific intended users for specific, intended uses” (Reiser & Dempsey, 2012, p. 102).   It follows several steps that assesses as it goes beginning with a realistic look at the party and its ability to be successful with U-FE.  The next eight steps involve completing the following tasks:
·      Identify the  ‘primary intended users and develop a working relationship with them’
·      Conduct a situational analysis.
·      Identify the ‘primary intended users.
·      Focus the evaluation.
·      Design the evaluation.
·      Collect, analyze, and interpret the evaluation data.
·      Continually facilitate evaluation use.
·      Conduct a metaevaluation.
To be truly effective in this type of evaluation, a person would need to be highly trained in many areas of psychology, technology, and leadership.  The biggest advantage is that U-FE constantly assesses from beginning to end and everything in between.  Thus, it provides thorough information.

A second form of evaluation is Rossi’s Five Domain Evaluation Model.  Its skeletal purpose is to determine local needs, resources, and type of program that best fits the intended objective.  But, the key portion is developing appropriate questions that lead to the necessary answers.  The five domains are:
·      Needs Assessment
·      Theory Assessment
·      Implementation Assessment
·      Impact Assessment
·      Efficiency Assessment
At the end of Rossi’s Five-Domain Evaluation Model, it should be quite clear what direction to follow.


Both designs can be used to form an informational assessment of the Mt. Vernon ISD library program.  But, I think U-FE would be the most effective.  It would require  a serious commitment, many participants, and a great deal of time.  In the end I would hope that the Superintendent would not find me worthy of my head on the wall.  J

2.      Asking questions is the most important step in evaluation because otherwise the evaluation is not focused , and the results would be scattered and ineffective.  Therefore, some other effective questions are:
·      Is the school capable of completing the evaluation?
·      Who would be involved in the administration of the evaluation?
·      What factors within the community could affect the evaluation?
·      What is the ultimate goal of the evaluation?  Knowledge? Change of program? Instructional strategies? Financial decisions? Etc…
·      What determines success or failure?


3.   Considering the fact that I work in a small East Texas school district, I work with scarce resources all the time.  Money, time, and people are limited in every area.  Whenever I conduct a staff development with the purpose of increasing technology in the classroom, I first consider what could teachers learn quickly and incorporate easily.  Obviously, I search for free resources on the web first. Then I teach myself how to use them to determine their friendliness and finally I examine the needs of teachers and students to decide if it is worth teachers’ time to teach.  Just those pieces of consideration refresh attitudes and circumstances when 

2 comments:

  1. I think U-FE can be very effective but you mention that you work in a small district with scarce resources. Do you feel there are enough highly skilled persons in the areas of psychology, technology, and leadership on your campus to carry out this evaluation effectively? It also requires a serious commitment, many participants, and a lot of time. I would be nervous to undertake such an evaluation as I don't think I'm "highly" skilled in all those areas. It also requires a serious commitment, many participants, and a great deal of time. On my campus it's hard just getting the staff to be in attendance. In my current position and campus my head would be on the wall with the other failed evaluators. However as my skills improve and I find myself with a hard-working dedicated staff I could step up and move forward with U-FE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinorah, I appreciate your honest remarks. In a perfect world, I would use U-FE. Sadly, I do not live in one. :)

    ReplyDelete