Sunday, December 16, 2012

Section 7: New Directions in Instructional Design and Technology

E-learning defines my job title.  I am constantly entwining technology in all its forms into the Media Center and offering staff development for teachers to teach them to do the same within their classrooms.  The flat screen TV scrolls book trailers throughout the day.  QR codes are on each bookshelf to highlight authors or specific titles.  One room in set aside for long distance learning and for students to create broadcasts.  Macs and PC's are available for student use and for teacher instruction.  A 20ft screen with a ceiling mounted data projector, Apple TV, and sound system make instruction and presentation easily seen and heard.  Research using databases, creating digital projects, or accessing Web 2.0 tools for a myriad of reasons are just some uses the computers provide.

iPod carts are readily available for teacher use, and I update them as well as search for education Apps that would benefit our students.  Kindles, Flip Cameras, Easi-Speak Microphones et cetera are my responsibility.  I do not just make them available, but I teach teachers and students to use them.

From my office, I use Camtasia to create instructional videos, book talks, and other enrichment lessons for classes (K-12).  In addition, I maintain the school website and am in the process of redesigning it and redesigning a webpage for the Media Center.

The best answer as to how technology/media will impact my future is to say that it will direct it.  As it changes and grows so will I.  The future of education will look very different than it does now.  The learning environment that most of us knew to be as straight rows, straight backs, and straight instruction   is a museum.  Educators are having a hard time accepting the change, but it is inevitable.  Technology will define how students learn.  Hmmm..... I wonder what's next????

No comments:

Post a Comment